When I moved to SoCal I was scared of driving on the (nominally) right side of the road, since we in Oz drive on the left. A friend suggested a brilliant idea: put an attention-grabbing object on the curb-side of the dashboard. The object is like a little god in a shrine dedicated to keeping me out of incoming traffic. This blog is like that.

Wednesday 16 October 2013

Hummingbirds smaller than moths

I got to observe one of these cuties this morning


She was getting nectar from a hibiscus, and as it's late in the season she was prepared to tolerate me watching (from a distance) for about 30s as she fed.

These critters are amazing, they're smaller than a bogong moth, and they just never stop moving.  They're so profligate in their use of energy that I've seen one hover where another bird would roost.

No comments:

Post a Comment