When I moved to SoCal I was scared of driving on the (nominally) right side of the road, since we in Oz drive on the left. A friend suggested a brilliant idea: put an attention-grabbing object on the curb-side of the dashboard. The object is like a little god in a shrine dedicated to keeping me out of incoming traffic. This blog is like that.

Friday 27 September 2013

Birds here are small

Today I saw a local corvid hiding in a tree making a chittering sound I took to be a warning, as a red tailed hawk circled, hunting. Later, I saw a blackbird and heard it sing, not in the dead of night though. General observation: they are all much smaller than I expected, smaller than their equivalents in Oz. I surmise this is due to the prevalence of placental predators here.

And hummingbirds ... Like little moths on amphetamine, clicking to one another like microbats.

No comments:

Post a Comment